What will you
You can make almost anything you want at our Digital Creative Lab! And you will gain great creative & digital skills in the process… Spraoi agus Sport brought this fabrication lab (or Fab lab) to Inishowen to provide the digital skills our new generations need to complete fairly. We believe these skills can also bring jobs and business opportunities here.
including 3 with disabilities, have completed a 6-week programme
did not have a computer at home or one that they had access to
did not know what STEAM meant before they did our programme
said programme made them more confident using digital tech & their digital skillset
How We Got Our Digital Creative Lab
Fab Labs mission is “to provide access to the tools, the knowledge and the financial means to educate, innovate and invent using technology and digital fabrication to allow anyone to make (almost) anything, and thereby creating opportunities to improve lives and livelihoods around the world”.
The Nerve Centre in Derry had one of the first Fab Labs on the island of Ireland. When we wanted to establish one here in Carndonagh, the Nerve Centre gave us all the help we needed. Led by John Peto, their team provided staffing and training support until we were ready to stand on our own two feet.
The Impact of Our Digital Creative Lab on Our Community and Economy
We are delighted with what has been achieved to date but we also plan to keep making an impact:
- Support economic recovery and resilience in our rural area
- Bring world class technology to a rural area and improve digital creative skills of our young people
- Young people will learn skills to build their capacity and resilience post-Covid
- Young People will enjoy STEAM based activities
- Young People will be supported emotionally
Impact on our community and economy
- Improving Mental Health – supporting and mentoring disadvantaged young people
- Social Inclusion – ensure our disadvantaged young people are supported to pursue a career in STEAM
- Bridging the digital divide
This project is supported by Inishowen Co-Op, Dormant Accounts, LEADER and the Irish Youth Foundation: